If you need to add many new indicators at once, instead of creating an indicator individually, you can create new indicators in bulk by uploading a spreadsheet containing their definitions.
For the bulk import, you can upload all columns that you see in the Indicators Index.
There are no columns in the index for an indicator's results framework mappings or the activities it's assigned to; this bulk import tool does not handle those assignments. (Those actions will be coming in a separate bulk edit functionality.)
You can use this functionality to:
- Create new indicators in bulk (enter new rows in the spreadsheet; anything without an indicatorID gets added)
- Edit existing indicators in bulk (edit the spreadsheet as-is; anything with an indicatorID gets updated)
To create new indicators in bulk, first go to Results->Indicators to open the Indicators Index page.
On this page, use the gear button in the upper right corner to select the indicator definition columns you want to use:
Once you have the columns you'd like, click the gear button and select "Export" to get an Excel template of all your existing indicators:
You can delete all the rows from the export, but it's not necessary. Add the rows for your new indicators at the bottom with a blank IndicatorID:
(The three rows highlighted with no indicatorID are the new indicators this import will create.)
For new rows in the spreadsheet:
- You can enter multiple Sectors separated by commas, for example: "Health, Education". These need to already exist in your site.
- You can enter multiple Tags separated by commas, for example: "Training, Engagement". These need to already exist in your site.
- You can enter multiple Disaggregations separated by commas, for example: "Classification, Gender". These need to already exist in your site.
- If you use disabled Disaggregations, you can include them in parentheses, for example: "Classification, Gender, (Age)".
- For columns like "Reports Per Activity" that show true/false in the download, you can use true/false, yes/no, or 1/0 in the spreadsheet.
- Level will depend on the administrative divisions set up for your site, so that will look a bit different from the screenshots.
Once you have your spreadsheet updated and saved with the new indicators you want to add, click the gear icon again and select Import:
This will open a pop-up window to walk you through the upload process:
You can click the Choose file button to browse to the file or drag the file from your computer directly into this box and drop it here. The system will evaluate the spreadsheet for any invalid fields; it will warn you if it finds any problems with the sheet. If everything looks fine, you'll get a confirmation showing how many indicators it found and will import:
(In this case, I'm seeing 26 indicators because I left all of my existing indicators in my sheet. Since I didn't make any changes to them, this is fine.) If the number for import looks wrong to you or you get errors that you need to fix, click the Clear upload button to remove the file, go edit and save it again, and then restart the process.
Once everything looks good, click the Continue button to complete the import:
You'll get a confirmation message once the import is complete; click the Done button to close it.
Once you click Done, your Indicators Index page will refresh and you'll see your new indicators there!
You can also use this tool to complete bulk updates to existing indicators. To do so, follow the first few steps to download your Indicators Index into Excel. Then edit the spreadsheet that you downloaded--for example, to add a new Sector or Tag to the Indicators.
When you import the spreadsheet, it will update the indicators in place.
Note that the same restrictions on editing an indicator with existing data apply--some changes will cause data to be deleted. The importer will warn you if any of your changes would cause data to be deleted, and it will tell you which indicators will be impacted:
To cancel the upload and remove those changes, click Clear upload. To proceed with the upload, click Continue.