DevResults uses Results Frameworks to organize indicators into hierarchies of objectives. Some organizations use other terms for a results framework, like "logframe". Some might call their objectives "results", "goals", or "sub-objectives". The overall idea is the same: a results framework allows a set of objectives to be organized into a hierarchy, and indicators measure progress toward one or more objectives.
- Add an objective to a results framework
- Edit an objective in a results framework
- Delete an objective from a results framework
- Create a new results framework
- Delete a results framework
- Assign an indicator to an objective
- Understanding the details page for an objective
Add an objective to a results framework
Click in the Click to add box to begin entering your new objective.
- Code and Short Name are displayed throughout DevResults where ever you can filter information by results framework, such as the indicator index or the MultiMatrix reporting tool.
- Code is used to hierarchically organize the results framework objectives. The periods in the code are used to denote hierarchy, e.g. Objective 1.1 is displayed under objective 1; objective A.2.5 is displayed under A.2. You can add objectives in any order and they will sort themselves hierarchically and alphabetically based on the code.
- Code should be unique within the Results Framework.
- Code can contain only numbers, letters, dashes, and periods.
- We recommend also having unique Short Names. This is not required but will make it easier for people less familiar with the framework to find things they need.
- Desired Result is a description field where you can put the full text of your framework's objective (as it might appear in a logframe, PMP, etc.).
- By default, all objectives are marked as Active when you create them. You can deactivate objectives by unchecking this box, which makes them unavailable as options when assigning an indicator to frameworks.
Edit an objective in a results framework
To edit an objective in a results framework, click on the objective's code, short name, or desired result, and type to edit.
Note: Changing the code, short name, or desired result for an objective will not affect the indicators assigned to the objective in any way.
Delete an objective from a results framework
To delete an objective from a results framework, click on the X next to the objective. If indicators were assigned to the objective, those assignments will be removed, but the indicators and any associated data will remain unchanged.
Create a new results framework
To create a new results framework, go to Program Info > Results Framework.
Existing results frameworks will be displayed in tabs along the top. To create a new results framework, click the Manage results frameworks button in the lower right.
This will open a pop-up displaying the existing frameworks. To add a new one, click in the empty cell where it says Click to add, and fill out the Code Prefix, the Short Name, and (optionally) the Description.
The Code Prefix is used on indicator definition tabs in the classification section. Here, objectives from the "M" framework (Main Framework) and "U" framework (Foreign Assistance Framework) are assigned to the indicator.
The Short Name is used anywhere you can filter indicators by results framework, like the indicator index page.
The Description allows you to provide a description of the results framework and is only accessible from this Manage Results Frameworks view.
The order of the results frameworks in this pop-up determines the order for the results frameworks across the site. To reorder, click and drag the arrow to the left of the Code Prefix for the framework you want to move.
Once you've entered values for Code Prefix, Short Name, and Description, click the Done button in the lower right of the pop-up.
This will take you back to the tabbed view. Click the tab of the framework you just added.
This will open an empty grid for you to enter the objectives for your new results framework.
Next, jump to how to add an objective to a results framework.
Assign an indicator to an objective
To assign indicators to newly-created framework objectives, click the Details button to the right of the objective. This will open a details screen.
In the Indicators section, if any indicators are already assigned to the objective, you will see them in a list here.
- To add more assignments, click on the Start typing name... button and type the name of the indicator you would like to assign.
- To remove assignments, click on the X Remove button.
These assignments can also be managed on each indicator's definition page.
Delete a results framework
To delete a results framework, go to Program Info > Results Framework.
Existing results frameworks will be displayed in tabs along the top. To delete a results framework, click the Manage results frameworks button in the lower right.
This will open a pop-up displaying the existing frameworks. Click on the X to the left of the results framework you want to delete.
Type DELETE to confirm that you want to delete the results framework and click Confirm.
Understanding the details page for an objective
The details page for each objective shows key information about the objective.
- Code: Each objective should have a unique code.
- Short Name: The short name for an objective appears alongside the objective's code to identify the objective with a short phrase.
- Desired Result: The desired result is a description field where you can put the full text of your framework's objective (as it might appear in a logframe, PMP, etc.).
- Active?: By default, all objectives are marked as Active when you create them. You can deactivate objectives by unchecking this box, which makes them unavailable as options when assigning an indicator to frameworks.
- Result Type: This field is only available for DevResults sites with the IATI feature enabled. It classifies indicators using the IATI Result Type options.
- Suitable for Aggregation?: This field is only available for DevResults sites with the IATI feature enabled. It defines published data as suitable for aggregation or not.
- Results Framework: This dropdown menu shows which framework the objective is part of.
- Indicators: The indicators section shows all the indicators assigned to this objective.
- Activities: The activities section shows all the activities assigned to any of the indicators assigned to this objective.
- Recalculate logic checks: Click the Recalculate logic checks button to recalculate any logic checks associated with the assigned indicators.
Didn't answer your question? Please email us at email@example.com.