If you need to add many new organizations at once, instead of creating them individually, you can create new organizations in bulk by uploading a spreadsheet containing all their information.
For the bulk import, you can upload all columns that you see in the Organizations Index except for the final two columns: # Activities and # Users (these are calculated automatically based on the activities and users assigned to the organization).
You can use this functionality to:
- Create new organizations in bulk (enter new rows in the spreadsheet; anything without an organizationID gets added)
- Edit existing organizations in bulk (edit the spreadsheet as-is; anything with an organizationID gets updated)
To create new organizations in bulk, first go to Administration->Organizations to open the Organizations Index page.
On this page, use the gear button in the upper right corner to select the columns you want to use:
Once you have the columns you'd like, click the gear button and select "Export" to get an Excel template of the displayed existing organizations:
You can delete all the rows from the export, but it's not necessary. Add the rows for your new organizations at the bottom with a blank organizationID:
(The three rows highlighted with no organizationID are the new organizations this import will create.)
For new rows in the spreadsheet:
- For the Country column, use the two-letter country code as specified by the International Organization for Standardization (sample list available here).
- Organization and Short Name are required; the other columns are optional.
- If you're uploading more than one Tag for a single organization, they should be in the same cell and separated by commas. e.g. School,Primary.
- You can only import Organization Tags that already exist in the system. To add new tags go to Administration->Tags and click on the Organization Tags tab.
Once you have your spreadsheet updated and saved with the new oganizations you want to add, click the gear icon again and select Import:
This will open a pop-up window to walk you through the upload process:
You can click the Choose file button to browse to the file or drag the file from your computer directly into this box and drop it here. The system will evaluate the spreadsheet for any invalid fields; it will warn you if it finds any problems with the sheet. If everything looks fine, you'll get a confirmation showing how many organizations it found and will import:
(In this case, I'm seeing 7 organizations because I left all of my existing organizations in my sheet. Since I didn't make any changes to them, this is fine.) If the number for import looks wrong to you or you get errors that you need to fix, click the Clear upload button to remove the file, go edit and save it again, and then restart the process.
Once everything looks good, click the Continue button to complete the import:
You'll get a confirmation message once the import is complete; click the Done button to close it.
Once you click Done, your Organizations Index page will refresh and you'll see your new organizations there!
You can also use this tool to complete bulk updates to existing organizations. To do so, follow the first few steps to download your Organizationss Index into Excel. Then edit the spreadsheet that you downloaded--for example, to add a new Country to all Organizations, etc.